Saturday, June 8, 2013

Get out Your Dancing Shoes.

Yesterday I went out to 'get to know' Coban. I went with my host mom and one of her friends to Park Hotel, which is a park, restaurant, and zoo.

Her friend, Yuli has four children, two of which came with us to the park. They are a beautiful family, very generous and very kind. I became fast friends with the 7 year old boy. We drew pictures, we made hand puppets, he taught me hand-clap games, and then he fell asleep on my lap on the ride back home. Precious child. His sister wore purple heeled boots- a woman after my own fashion sense.

Host Mom, Miriam: Top Left


Ami: Cousin of Miriam
Miriam: Host Mom
Me
Yuli: Friend of Miriam 

What might one see at a Guatemala zoo? Deer and Raccoon. 

 I found out that the Protestant churches here in Coban are doing very little in the way of community service. The leadership isn't doing much to teach congregations to work in their own communities. The church doors are shut to the surrounding people. There is one ministry here in Coban. A young man, Christian, started a children's home for kids that live up in the mountains and have no money or resources or opportunities to go to school. His sister and he started this children's home where they home school them as well as teach them how to bathe themselves, dress themselves, eat, clean, cook, and act in social circumstances. They care for 28 children. I will be going to visit this ministry later this afternoon.

The view from the house gym. Sometimes it inspires my work-outs. Sometimes it makes me want to drink coffee and sit on the porch. 

The back porch and its lovely hammock. 

Thank you all for your comments, thoughts, and prayers. I feel firmly planted in a foundation of you all who support me, and of Christ who sustains me. 

My work continues, and continues at a pretty fast pace. I teach Bible studies and devotions at the school. I am planning a teacher's retreat for the end of this month. I am planning a workshop for the older teens to talk about self-esteem. And I continue to love on children and write curriculum. 

And a story: I met a young girl at the school. Her name is Margarita, and she is blind. Early Thursday morning, I sat down with her on the steps. She grabbed my hand and moved closer to me. We talked for a bit about the US, and she told me she wanted to meet Christina Aguilera (anybody have that hook-up?). I told her seh was a beautiful girl. Her response was: "That's because God made me." From there she grabbed my hand and asked me to dance with her. She dances in such freedom, with such joy, and with such abandon. It was inspiring. So, we danced in the middle of the school courtyard. As we danced, she sang, "Jesus ama a los ninos." and she's right. 

Peace and Grace, 
Micaiah 

1 comment: