Sunday, June 2, 2013

Hairdryers? Who Needs Them.

So here's a tip: hairdryers are not needed in Guatemala. And let me tell you why. There is no air conditioning. So, roll those windows down, hit the gas, and weave in and out of traffic. That's just the combination needed for dry hair and loads of tangles.

All that is to say that I am here. I am safe. I am sitting in a hotel room that opens up to a gorgeous half-outdoor/half-indoor courtyard. I have a flat screen TV on my wall. And yes, even indoor plumbing. Hot water, you ask? I haven't checked yet. But according to Colombians, cold water cures everything. :)

Once I arrived in Guatemala, I do what all Guatemalans do when they get off the plane, I V-lined it to the nearest coffee shop and ordered a hot and strong cappuccino. Anay Ortega (CP missionary) met me there, we hopped on a Mega Bus and traveled 5 hours north to Coban- where I will be working for the next 3 weeks. So, this is home, for now.

The Mega Bus ride was hot and steamy, and then all of a sudden it was chilly and rainy. And it was beautiful. Fog and steam crept through the tops of the mountains creating a hazy grey. And we bumped along the road as we (quickly) circled the mountain. Really, the bus ride is comparable to a wooden roller coaster at Six Flags.

Pictures to come. At the moment there is just rain and me, and all of you can imagine what that looks like.

Tomorrow I meet with the director of the school and get this show on the road.

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts.

Blessings,
Micaiah

3 comments:

  1. So glad you are in Coban. I can picture the school and the beautiful faces of the children of school.
    You will be such a blessing to them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister hope you have fun! (Which it sounds like you already are) Glad you learned the trick to drying your hair without a hair dryer. Next step is to try and curl your hair with out a curling iron... let me know what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO, there IS indoor plumbing there? Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete