Wednesday, June 5, 2013

People. Because that's what this is all about.

Her name is Fernanda. And she is the reason I insisted on coming back to Coban, Guatemala and not just working in Guatemala City the whole time. She comes from a tough family background. But three years ago when I was here with a youth team, her life changed. She let God in and her countenance brightened.

Today, Fernanda found me. She was afraid that I had forgotten her. She doesn't know that she is the main reason I am back and am working in this specific school.

When she saw me walk through the school gates, she ran to me, a full on sprint and hugged me. Out of pure joy, I about cried.
This is Fernanda 3 years ago. 

Now, she's as tall as I am. 

Today, when I left the school, I was overcome with tears. Each day I pray with two boys at the end of the day, Juan Carlos and Cristofer. Their mother passed away a month ago a few days before Mother's Day. Today was Juan Carlos' 11th birthday. But today there will be no cake, no party, no family dinner, nothing. I could see how sad he was and how much his little heart hurt. Cristofer is much younger and doesn't fully understand. But, Juan Carlos does. He understands and he is hurting. There are many sad family situations in this school, but this one broke me. Maybe it was holding these two boys. Maybe it was praying with them. Maybe it was watching Juan Carlos smile as we played a game during our devotional on Jonah. Maybe it was watching him drag his hat down over his head when I called him up during our devotion so that we could all sing him Happy Birthday. But, something about these boys has broken my heart. 

As a sidenote: This past Monday there was a big party at the school. They finally bought land to build their own school instead of renting out property. They will also build a Presbyterian Church- the first in Coban and a University. To celebrate the beginning of such a project, the school marching band, the only one in this region of Guatemala, led us in a parade from the school to the plot where the new school will be. 

The band plays all the Top 40s pop songs from the USA. 

Blessings, 

Micaiah 


5 comments:

  1. I want to fly down there and throw a party for Juan Carlos. I'm so glad you sang happy birthday to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to fly down there and hug YOU ALL!!

    I am so glad I can follow you this summer, friend (thanks to Nona).

    Love you and am praying for you!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...if we're all flying down there, I want to go, too! Truth be told, I've wanted to go back since the day we left almost 3 years ago.

    I'm sending extra live and prayers your way for you and all those sweet children (and adults) you are reaching out to. You're doing amazing things!

    -Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very cool to hear how God can impact others, both near and far, through our lifes. I now understand why it was so important for you to be in Guatemala. I will continue to send prayers and positive vibes ~~~~ your way. Rudi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the prayers and 'positive vibes' you are sending my way. Trust me, they are well received! I'm grateful to be here, and I'm grateful to have such a strong support system. Abrazos and besitos from the precious children.

    Bendiciones.

    ReplyDelete