Friday, June 28, 2013

"Now we can play with shoes that aren't broken"

New Shoes


My mother, who is a rock star, arrived in Guatemala on Wednesday. My host mother, Miriam, laughs because now I have two mothers with me. And she's absolutely right. Two mothers. Both wonderful. Both keeping an eye on my "passionate" (not rebellious) ways ;) 

Yesterday my mother and I went to the Children's Home to deliver new shoes, underwear and candy. They were all smiles. Some put their shoes on right away because they were so excited. Others packed them back up and clung onto them to ensure they got to keep them. All of them were grateful. 

The children, ages 7-23, wanted you all- you who donated money or socks or candy or underwear- you who have been praying for these kids and keeping up with their stories- to know that they are so grateful. In their exact words: "Muchas gracias y que Dios les bendiga." 

One of the younger boys spoke up and wanted you all to know this: "Yesterday I couldn't go out to play because I didn't have any shoes. I had to stay inside while others went outside. But now I have shoes. And they aren't broken. They are new." 

They aren't broken.
 That was the comment that brought the room to tears. 

Thank you to all of you who have helped in this project. Thank you to all of you who have prayed for me and for these kids. You're blessing lives with 'newness.' Because God is making all thing new. Because God sees our brokenness, sees our 'broken shoes,' and makes them new. God is making all things new. God is pulling these kids out of abuse, violence, rape, and fear and is making them new. So they can have new lives. Ones with wounds and problems and fears, but with the promise of newness. Now they have new shoes to match the new work that God is doing in them. 








... And that kid in my lap. I want to take him with me. 

With joy and gratitude,
Micaiah 



3 comments:

  1. What a glorious gift of yourself and your faith you have given them. We all take our "not" broken shoes so for granted. Thanks and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey mom! Hey sister! Glad you guys had such a wonderful time handing out shoes!

    ReplyDelete